The Traffic Director is an advanced version of DNS. Most of the DNS providers allow us to create various DNS records and one-to-one mapping to the records. This means We can only able to point our DNS record to an IP address or a hostname. The Traffic Director offers different types of failure modes and Health Checks, So we can avoid downtime of your domain. The main advantages are explained below.
- We can enable failure mode for A, AAAA, CNAME, and ANAME records, In this method, the system will check servers and switch to the one that is available in the event of the primary server going down.
- Another feature is the Health Check. The traffic director will periodically check the status of your server from the specified region.
- Geo Proximity and IP Filter features allow you to direct traffic to the preferred server based on the country, state, or ASN (autonomous system number) of your users.
- We can create multiple rules with a single record.
- Traffic Director supports ANAME type records, With an ANAME record, you can point the root of your domain to a hostname or fully qualified domain name (FQDN). ANAMEs are also useful for content delivery networks (CDNs), as they allow for multiple dynamically updated IP addresses to be authoritative for a domain in various regions.